Monday, December 21, 2009

Smoked Salmon with Shallot mayonnaise and Meyer lemon slices

003-crop v1

As they say “time flies when you’re having fun”!   It’s been a year since I started Prijatno!  and it has been a most enjoyable and enriching experience.   Since I’m the ‘live to eat’ type and not vice versa ‘eat to livers’ - too skinny - I’ll never be one of them  I take my adventurous palate and relish the chance to try new ingredients and challenges out of the ordinary.  I’ve made my own homemade puff pastry and Chinese dumpling dough.  I have enjoyed sharing my family, my culture and traditions with you as well as phenomenal dinners, programs and places.

Personal issues with computers aside techno geeks – I’ll never be one of them,  I love the blogging process.  It starts with creativity and cooking in the kitchen and moves on to recipe development (if it’s mine), writing and editing,  photographing, organizing it, and finally the most fun of all is pushing the ‘Publish’ button and waiting to receive your comments!  I am thrilled that I have found a suitable avenue for sharing my culinary experiments and adventures with you because I believe good food and recipes are for sharing, after all!

Thanks for the positive feedback from fellow bloggers, readers and followers.   Comments are very important to me so don’t be shy!  If you’ve never written a comment to a blog post, try it - it’s easy!  Just click on “click to leave a comment” at the end of this post and follow the directions.  If you don’t have a “profile”, a Google account takes just a couple of minutes to set up.    

In my last post I talked about our Meyer lemon crop.  We have been enjoying the lemons in desserts, salads, drinking water and in this delicious sandwich with smoked salmon.

087-crop v2 

Smoked Salmon with Shallot mayonnaise and Meyer lemon slices

Makes 4 sandwiches

Shallot Mayonnaise

1/2 cup mayonnaise

3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots

2 - 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or parsley

½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

    

4 - 8 thin slices of firm bread (I used homemade oat bread).   That’s 4 slices for ‘open-faced’ sandwiches, and 8 slices if you like your sandwich ‘closed’.

1 Meyer lemon, sliced as thin as you can

4 oz smoked salmon slices

1 tablespoon chives, chopped

To make the Shallot mayonnaise: combine mayonnaise, shallots, cilantro or parsley, and black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside or refrigerate if using later.

For open-faced sandwiches: Toast 4 slices of bread. Spread with Shallot mayonnaise. Top with thin slices of Meyer lemon, smoked salmon, a small dollop of Shallot mayonnaise and some chopped chives.

For closed sandwiches: Toast the remaining 4 slices of bread and top the sandwiches with them. Slice in half and enjoy!

008-crop v2

Prijatno!

3 comments:

  1. we love salmon ..we usually have it while dining out but its a great idea i cant do it at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. draga dragana, zelim ti sretan bozic i bozicne blagdane.:)

    smoked salmon jako volim a ova tvoja kombinacija je bas primamljiva.:) probat cu pa javim>:)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love smoked salmon and your recipe sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Prijatno! Your comments are important to me. Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note!