Thursday, March 25, 2010

Avocado and poblano pepper omelette

028 v1

Everyone knows that I’m a huge fan of avocados, so much so that I have even experimented with it in a cheesecake!  Sunny South Africa, where I spent my formative years, was abundant with many varieties of fruits and vegetables and amongst them was the wonderful avocado.   My parents, young immigrants from the former Yugoslavia, had never seen an avocado, paw paw (papaya), granadilla (passion fruit) or guava before and gradually incorporated these nutritious and heavenly fruits into our diets (mom’s fruit salads were always the best!).  My father, upon his first taste of the avocado, deemed it needed salt and pepper, and from then on, my mother made sandwiches with mashed avocado, salt and pepper and they were simple but very tasty.  A wholesome food such as the avocado doesn’t need much primping, according to mama!  I still enjoy these sandwiches and the memories they evoke.

A long time staple of the middle Americas (earliest evidence of it is from 10,000 BC!), the avocado tree is native to the tropics.  The mild-flavored flesh is almost always consumed raw in salsas, dips and salads.   High in monosaturated fats (the best kind) and potassium (the mineral that keeps those pesky leg cramps at bay!), the avocado is also a factor in reducing cholesterol and consistently appears at the top of many healthy food lists. 

I try to incorporate it in our salads, sandwiches, tacos and another salad, and now, in a delicious omelette.  The buttery, rich texture of the avocado lends itself well to this preparation.  As it warms, its subtle flavor and creamy texture contrast with its surroundings -  bold onions, sweet red peppers and spicy poblano.  I highly recommend it!

The headliners…chopped cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, red pepper, poblano pepper, green onions and avocado:

001-crop v1

Sauté the vegetables in a pan.  When they are starting to soften, pour the beaten eggs over them and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste

011 v1

013 v1

Using a wooden spoon or a spatula, push the egg mixture from the edges inward and tilt the pan so that the runny raw egg from the middle falls onto the pan and starts to cook.  Cover half of the egg mixture with the cheese of your choice and the avocados, and then flip the exposed end over to enclose them. 

020 v1

022 v1

Avocado omelette

For 2 very generous portions (we like our eggs, what can I say!)

¼ red onion, chopped finely

1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped finely

1/3 red bell pepper, chopped finely

1 green onion, thinly sliced

¼ cup chopped cilantro

4 eggs, beaten

salt and pepper, to taste

½ avocado, seeded, peeled and cubed

2 slices provolone cheese, mozzarella, feta, chevre, cream cheese, or whatever cheese you fancy that would melt quickly

Have all of the above ingredients prepared before you begin to cook the omelette.  Over medium heat, heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan.  Add the onion, jalapeno, red bell and sauté for about 3 minutes.  Add the green onions and  cilantro and cook for about 2 more minutes.  Spread the vegetables out evenly in the pan. 

Pour the beaten eggs over the vegetables evenly.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Let eggs cook for about a minute or two (the edges will be cooked but the top will still be raw).  Using a wooden spoon or a spatula, push the egg mixture from the edges inward and tilt the pan so that the runny raw egg from the middle falls onto the pan and starts to cook.  Cover half of the egg mixture with the cheese of your choice and the avocados, and then flip the exposed end over to enclose them.  Remove from heat and cover with a lid.  Allow to sit for about 5 minutes so that the cheese melts and the avocado warms. 

Crispy egg, spicy peppers, gooey cheese and warm avocado makes for a delicious breakfast!

025 v1

Prijatno!

8 comments:

  1. OMG! That looks so good. I loved your avocado cheesecake! I thought it was great! Gabby loves guacamole. She eats it with a spoon. Savannah loves it sliced. Gabe will only eat it as guacamole with chips. I will eat it as is (without the rind of course!) and in a spread. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love avocados too! Your omelette looks fantastic....a real hearty breakfast. I think I need to go shopping now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks heavenly, mmmmm. I will be over for breakfast this Saturday morning!!!
    Love ya xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to tell you...that is the most delicious looking omelet I've seen in ages. I love avocados too and have never thought to add them to an omelet. Great photos of a scrumptious breakfast dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous combination Dragana, and you've photographed it so beautifully (as always!)

    I would absolutely love to have this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Thank you for the inspiration. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puno vitamina, super je...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good.. probably not a good idea to look at this while hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMWORD! I know I'm supposed to say something deep and meaningful, but I don't think i can speak or think coherently after looking at those pictures. May I come over for some of this?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Prijatno! Your comments are important to me. Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note!